This is not my usual blog; today is a somber day. I do remember what I was doing 6 years ago today. I was at work doing patient care and the TV was on in one of the patient's rooms. Someone called the unit and had said, "a plane just flew into one of the twin towers" several of the other nurses joined me in that patient's room to see the TV. It was an awful thing to watch those buildings crumble and fall. I'll never forget how many people lost family members on that day or in the days following the events of that day. I also remember wondering if our country was going to go immediately into war. My husband was an active member of the National Guard at that time and we had just been married 1 month before; I had never before felt fear that he might have to go war until that day. Fortunately for me, I did not have to encounter sending him off to "fight" for our country. He was not deployable when the time came around for Iraq and the National Guard deployments,having had injuries that gave him bad knees, but my son-in-law and stepdaughter were. My son-in-law volunteered for Homeland Security. At the time I thought, why? you are in college and only have a little bit left until you graduate. I now realize it was a very smart decision. It spared him from being deployed to Iraq when the rest of his battalion was deployed. My stepdaughter was to be deployed. We sent her off with her National Guard unit to Ft. Riley, Kansas for some 'undisclosed location'. We all knew that is was Iraq, but she wasn't told initially where the deployment would be. It could have been Europe, someplace here in the US or to Afghanastan. We did finally find out that it was to be Iraq, but she had documented cases of "heat intolerance", so she was medically discharged. Don't tell me God did not have a hand in them not going to Iraq. I had already been through so much loss at that time, I honestly don't know if I could have stood more. I am so proud of them though for their willingness to give their all for our country. Today is a day for prayer and remembrance of all of the people who have given so much for our freedom.
Tips for the best relationships
1 year ago







0 comments:
Post a Comment